1- The Persian Gulf Nuclear Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran 2- Department of Immunology, Asthma and Allergy, The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran 3- Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran 4- Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran 5- The Persian Gulf Nuclear Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran Department of Immunology, Asthma and Allergy, The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran , email@example.com
Abstract: (1591 Views)
Background: The prevalence of allergic diseases is growing in the world and Iran. Allergens play an important role in creating these diseases. Since inhalation allergens are an important part of these allergens the aim of this study was to assess the prevalence of aeroallergens and their association with allergic diseases based on skin prick test (SPT).
Material and Methods: In this study, the frequency of these allergens were examined by using 22 aeroallergens and based on Skin Prick Test in 1100 patients with allergic diseases who referred to Shohadaye- Khalije- Fars university hospital.
Results: The reaction severity of SPT and the severity of disease associated with inhaled allergens with Russian thistle (21.1%, P꞊0.001), Chenopodium album pollen (14%, P꞊0.001) and Dermatophagoid Pteronyssinus (9%, P꞊0.001) respectively. Also, in these patients, the frequency of inhalation allergens were House Dust Mite (HDM) (69%), feather (60.8%), Russian this tle (59.9%) pollen and Alternaria mold (59.6%) respectively.
Conclusion: This study indicated that outdoors inhaled allergens such as Russian thistle and Chenopodium album pollen have the most allergenicity in patients with allergic and asthma in Bushehr province, Meanwhile, the prevalence of indoor aeroallergens such as HDM, feather and mold were high in these patients.
1. Morris MJ, Argyros Col GJ, Batuello SG, et al. Asthma. (Accessed February 2, 2012, at: http://emedicine. medscape.com/ article/ 296301-overview.)
2. Bousquet J, Van Cauwenberge P, Khaltaev N. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 108(5 Suppl): S147-334 [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
3. Smith JM. Epidemiology and natural history of asthma, allergic rhinitis, and atopic dermatitis (eczema). In: Middleton E Jr, Reed CE, Ellis EF, eds. Allergy: principles and practice. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 1983, 771-803. [Google Scholar]
4. Bush RK, Taylor SL. Adverse Reactions to Food and Drug Additives. In: Adkinson NF, Busse WW, edithors. Middleton's Allergy Principles & Practice. 7th ed. Mosbey: Elsevier, 2008, 1169-75.
5. Puc M. Characterization of pollen allergens. Ann Agric Environ Med 2003; 10(2): 143-9.
6. Ahmadiafshar A, Parchegani MR, Moosavinasab N, et al. A study of relation between BCG scar and atopy in schoolchildren of Zanjan city. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 4(4): 185-8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
7. Kashef S, Kashef MA, Eghtedari F. Prevalence of aeroallergens in allergic rhinitis in Shiraz. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003; 2(4): 185-8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
8. Moxley JH, Angeles C. In vivo diagnostic testing and immunotherapy for allergy. JAMA 1987; 258(10): 1365-7. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
9. Behmanesh F, Shoja M, Khajedaluee M. Prevalence of aeroallergens in childhood asthma in Mashhad. Maced J Med Sci 2010; 3(3): 295-8. [Google Scholar]
10. Krouse JH, Sadrazodi K, Kerswill K. Sensitivity and specificity of prick and intradermal testing in predicting response to nasal provocation with timothy grass antigen. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 131(3): 215-9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
11. Choi IS, Koh YI, Koh JS, et al. Sensitivity of the skin prick test and specificity of the serum-specific IgE test for airway responsiveness to house dust mites in asthma. J Asthma 2005; 42(3): 197-202. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
12. Ghaffari J, Rafatpanah H, Khalilian AR, et al. Skin Prick Test In Asthmatic, Allergic Rhinitis And Urticaria Patients. Med J Mashhad Univ Med Sci 2011; 54(1): 44-9. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
13. Farhoudi A, Razavi A, Chavoshzadeh Z, et al. Descriptive study of 226 patients with allergic rhinitis and asthma in karaj city. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 4(2): 99-101. [Google Scholar]
14. Nabavi M, Ghorbani R, Bemanian M, et al. Prevalence of mold allergy in patients with allergic rhinitis referred to Semnan clinic of allergy. Koomesh 2009; 11(1): 27-32. (Persian). [Google Scholar]
15. Moghtaderi M, Aleyasin S, Amin R, et al. Skin test reactivity to fungal aeroallergens in asthmatic children in southern Iran. Iran J Pediatr 2010; 20(2): 242-3. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
16. Ahmadiafshar A, Sepehri S, Moosavinasab S, et al. Recognition and frequency determination of common allergens in allergic patients of Zanjan city by skin prick test. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci 2008; 16(64): 47-56. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
17. Akbary H, Rezaei A. Skin test assay in allergic patients of Esfahan city. Res Med Sci 2000; 5(7): 68-77. [Google Scholar]
18. Khazaei HA, Hashemi S, Aghamohammadi A, et al. Common allergens in patients with allergic disorders in Zahedan. Tabib-e-shargh 2002; 4(3): 149-154. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
19. Mohammadi K, Gharagozlou M, Movahedi M. A Single Center Study of Clinical and Paraclinical Aspects in Iranian Patients with Allergic Rhinitis. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008; 7(3): 163-7. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
20. Ahanchian H, Jafari SA, Jabbari Azad F, et al. Evaluation of common allergens in children with atopic dermatitis by skin prick test. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci 2013; 5(1): 551-6. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
21. Fouladseresht H, Safiri S, Moqaddasi M, et al. Prevalence of Food and airborn allergen in allergic patients in Kerman. J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci 2014; 4(4): 234-7. [Google Scholar]
Moradi A, Shirkani A, Tahmasebi R, Omrani A, Farrokhi S. Association Between Aeroallergens and Allergic Diseases Based on Skin Prick Test in Bushehr Province . Iran South Med J. 2017; 19 (6) :962-971 URL: http://ismj.bpums.ac.ir/article-1-844-en.html