1- Departments of Hematology, Allied Medical School, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran , email@example.com 2- Departments of Hematology, Allied Medical School, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran 3- Departments of Medical Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran 4- Education Development Center, School of Medicine, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran
Abstract: (495 Views)
Background: Factor XIII (FXIII) deficiency is a bleeding disorder and it inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. in areas where consanguineous marriage is common, it has high prevalence. Iran as a Middle East country comprise the high rate of consanguinity in nearly half of patients with severe congenital FXIII deficiency (FXIIID). The most common mutation in Iranian population is Trp187Arg. In these patients occure life- threatening bleeding including central nervous system (CNS) bleeding, umbilical cord bleeding and recurrent miscarriage that have high rate of morbidity and mortality. The aim of this study was to investigate morbidity and mortality rate among these patients and the reasons for it.
Materials and Methods:In this systematic review we studied all published paper in the field of FXIIID factor deficiency in Iran until 2015 via searching in databases and search engine such as Sciencedirect, scientific information database (SID), PubMed and Google scholar.
Results: Among 308 patients with FXIIID, 108 cases had experienced CNS bleeding (CNSB) that in 23 cases had associated with rebleeding. in 72 patients have occured different types of neurological complications after central nervous system bleeding. A total of 63 recurrent miscarriages were observed in 30 women and 21 deaths were registered due to umbilical cord bleeding or mucosal bleedings.
Conclusion: Due to high rate of morbidity and mortality among patients with FXIIID, early diagnosis of disease, prophylaxis treatment and intensive health care should be considered among these patients.
1. Dorgalaleh A, Naderi M, Hosseini MS, et al. Factor XIII deficiency in Iran: A comprehensive review of the literature. Semin Thromb Hemost 2015; 41(3): 323-9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
2. Naderi M, Dorgalaleh A, Alizadeh S, et al. Clinical manifestations and management of life-threatening bleeding in the largest group of patients with severe factor XIII deficiency. Int J Hematol 2014; 100(5): 443-9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
3. Naderi M, Dorgalaleh A, Tabibian Sh, et al. Current understanding in diagnosis and management of factor XIII deficiency. Iran J Ped Hematol Oncol 2013; 3(4): 164-72. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
4. Hosseini S, Dorgalaleh A, Bamedi T, et al. First cases of severe congenital factor XIII deficiency in Southwestern Afghanistan in the vicinity of southeast of Iran. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2015; 26(8): 908-11. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
5. Azadbakhsh A, Sam MR, Farrokhi F, et al. Expression of the human coagulation factor IX in the bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Iran South Med J 2014; 17(2): 130-40. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
6. Dorgalaleh A, Kazemi A, Zaker F, et al. Laboratory Diagnosis of Factor XIII Deficiency, Routine Coagulation Tests with Quantitative and Qualitative Methods. Clin lab 2015; 62(4): 491-8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
7. Mahmoudi M, Alizadeh S, Dorgalaleh A, et al. The effects of Hyperglycemia and Hyperlipidemia on blood indices. Iran South Med J 2016; 18(6): 1179-85. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
8. Naderi M, Dorgalaleh A, Alizadeh S, et al. Polymorphism of thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor and risk of intracranial haemorrhage in factor XIII deficiency. Haemophilia 2014; 20(1): e89-92. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
9. Naderi M, Alizadeh S, Kazemi A, et al. Central nervous system bleeding in pediatric patients with factor XIII deficiency: a study on 23 new cases. Hematology 2015; 20(2): 112-8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
10. Naderi M, Younesi MR, Dorgalaleh A, et al. Association between expression of MMP-2 and MMP-9 genes and pathogenesis of intracranial hemorrhage in severe coagulation factor XIII deficiency. Hematology 2015; 20(8): 487-92. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
11. Naderi M, Zarei T, Haghpanah S, et al. Intracranial hemorrhage pattern in the patients with factor XIII deficiency. Ann Hematol 2014; 93(4): 693-7. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
12. Peyvandi F, Tagliabue L, Menegatti M, et al. Phenotype‐genotype characterization of 10 families with severe a subunit factor XIII deficiency. Hum Mutat 2004; 23(1): 98. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
13. Naderi M, Alizadeh Sh, Tabibian Sh, et al. Effect of social factors on the highest global incidence of factor XIII deficiency in southeast of Iran. Arch Iran Med 2015; 18(5): 331. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
14. Naderi M, Imani M, Eshghi P, et al. Factor XIII deficiency in Sistan and Baluchistan province. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ 2013; 10(30: 282-8. [Google Scholar]
15. Dorgalaleh A, Naderi M, Shamsizadeh M. Morbidity and mortality in a large number of Iranian patients with severe congenital factor XIII deficiency. Ann Hematol 2016; 95(3): 451-5. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
16. Mansouritorghabeh H, Manavifar L, Banihashem A, et al. An investigation of the spectrum of common and rare inherited coagulation disorders in North-Eastern Iran. Blood Transfus 2013; 11(2): 233-40. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
17. Anwar R, Minford A, Gallivan L, et al. Delayed umbilical bleeding-a presenting feature for factor XIII deficiency: clinical features, genetics, and management. Pediatrics 2002; 109(2): E32. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
18. Naderi M, Eshghi P, Cohan N, et al. Successful delivery in patients with FXIII deficiency receiving prophylaxis: report of 17 cases in Iran. Haemophilia 2012; 18(5): 773-6. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
19. Sharief LA, Kadir RA. Congenital factor XIII deficiency in women: a systematic review of literature. Haemophilia 2013; 19(6): e349-57. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
20. Killick CJ, Barton CJ, Aslam S, et al. Prenatal diagnosis in factor XIII-A deficiency. Arch Dis in Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 1999; 80(3): F238-9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
21. Naderi M, Reykande SE, Dorgalaleh A, et al. Establishment of a prenatal diagnosis schedule as part of a prophylaxis program of factor XIII deficiency in the southeast of Iran. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2016; 27(1): 97-100. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
22. Soltanghoraee H, Memariani T, Aarabi M, Hantoushzadeh S, Arefi S, Aarabi M, et al. Association of ACE, PAI-1 and coagulation factor XIII gene polymorphisms with recurrent spontaneous abortion in Iranian patients. J Reprod Infertil 2007; 7(4): 324-330. (Persian). [Google Scholar]
23. Kohler HP. Role of blood coagulation factor XIII in vascular diseases. Swiss Med Wkly 2001; 131(3-4): 31-4. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
24. Dossenbach-Glaninger A, Trotsenburg M, Oberkanins C, et al. Risk for Early Pregnancy Loss by Factor XIII Val34Leu: The Impact of Fibrinogen Concentration. J Clin Lab Anal 2013; 27(6): 444-9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Dorgalaleh A, Esmaeili Reykandeh S, Shamsizadeh M, Tavasoli B, Moradi E. Severe Congenital Deficiency of Factor XIII: A Brief Report of Morbidity and Mortality Rates of Severe Congenital Deficiency of Factor 13 in Iran . Iran South Med J. 2017; 20 (1) :9-17 URL: http://ismj.bpums.ac.ir/article-1-853-en.html