1- Department of Health Education, School of Public Health, University of Medical Sciences Ilam, Ilam, Iran 2- Department of Health Education, School of Health, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran , firstname.lastname@example.org 3- The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran Department of Biostatistics, School of Health, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran 4- The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, The Persian Gulf Biomedical Research Institute, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran
Abstract: (1121 Views)
Background: Work is an important source for establishing livelihoods and social occasions; however, it can also damage on person's health. The aim of the present study was to study of association between health locus of control and health promoting behaviors among employees of Bushehr University of Medical Sciences.
Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 208 employees of Bushehr University of Medical Sciences by using convenience sampling method. Data were collected by using standard questionnaires of health-promoting lifestyle and multidimensional health locus of control. Data analysis done by SPSS software version 20. Descriptive indicators and linear regression test was used.
Results: Among regression models which related to health promoting behavior and its six dimensions, only there was a significant association between total behavior, physical activity and interpersonal relationship dimensions. Between demographic factors and health locus of control only internal health locus of control explained the health promoting behavior and it explained health promoting behavior changes within 3.2% (R2=3.2%). None of the three health locus of control explained physical activity dimensions, while internal health locus of control explained interpersonal relation dimension positively and chance locus of control explained interpersonal relation dimension negatively and explained interpersonal relation changes within 4.9% (R2=4.9%).
Conclusion: Due to the effect of internal health locus of control on health promotion behavior and interpersonal relationships, we should try to internalize locus of control by performing counseling programs to step toward improving employee health by improving behaviors related to health.
Type of Study: Original |
Subject: Public Health Received: 2016/11/17 | Accepted: 2016/11/17 | Published: 2016/11/17
1. Alavi Arjmand N, Kashaninia Z, Hosseini MA, et al. Effect of Stress Management on Job Stress and Work-Family Conflict among Nurses. Hayat 2012; 18(4): 81-91. (Persion) [Google Scholar]
2. Abdollahpour I, Salimi Y, Nedjat S. Quality of life and effective factors on it among governmental staff in Boukan city. Urmia Med J 2011; 22(1): 40-7. (Persion) [Google Scholar]
3. Barzideh M, Choobineh AR, Tabatabaei HR. Job stress dimensions and their relationship to musculoskeletal disorders in nurses. Health Syst Res 2012; 8(7): 1365-75. (Persion) [Google Scholar]
4. Daneshjoo A, Dadgar H. The prevalence of low back pain and its relationship with physical activity, age And BMI in Fars Payam-e Noor university staff. J Res Rehabil Sci 2011; 7(3): 302-10. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
5. Lee TW, Ko IS, Lee KJ. Health promotion behaviors and quality of life among community-dwelling elderly in Korea: A cross-sectional survey. Int J of Nursing Studies 2006; 43(3): 293-300. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
6. Pender NJ, Murdaugh CL, Parsons MA. Health promotion in nursing practice. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River. New Jersey: Prentic Hall, 2002, 49-56. [Google Scholar]
7. Hosseini M, Yaghmaei F, Hosseinzade S, et al. Psychometric Evaluation Of The Health Promoting Life Style Profile 2. Payesh 2012; 11(6): 849-56. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
8. Guarnaccia CA. Optimism, Health locus of control, and quality of life women with initial versus recurrent breast cancer [dissertation]. University of North Texas, American, 2001. [Google Scholar]
9. McCabe BW, Hertzog M, Grasser CM, et al. Practice of health-promoting behaviors by nursing home residents. West J Nurs Res 2005; 27(8): 1000-16. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
10. Esperat C, Feng D, Zhang Y, et al. Health behaviors of low-income pregnant minority women. West J Nurs Res 2007; 29(3): 284-300. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
11. Walker SN, Sechrist KR, Pender NJ. The Health-Promoting Lifestyle Profile: Development and psychometric characteristics. Nurs Res 1987; 36(2): 76-81. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
12. Moshki M, Ghofranipour F, Azadfallah P, et al. Validity and reliability of the multidimensional health locus of control (Form B) scale in Iranian medical students. Horizon Med Sci 2006; 12(1): 33-42. (Persian) [Google Scholar]
13. Helmer SM, Krämer A, Mikolajczyk RT. Health-related locus of control and health behaviour among university students in North Rhine Westphalia, Germany. BMC Res Notes 2012; 5(1): 703. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
14. Callaghan DM. The influence of growth on spiritual self-care agency in an older adult population. J Gerontol Nurs 2006; 32(9): 43-51. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
15. Salyer J, Sneed G, Corley MC. Lifestyle and health status in long-term cardiac transplant recipients. Heart & Lung: Heart Lung 2001; 30(6): 445-57. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
16. Cha C. Health promotion and related factors among Korean goose mothers. Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci) 2010; 4(4): 205-15. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
17. Lee FH, Wang HH. A preliminary study of a health-promoting lifestyle among Southeast Asian women in Taiwan. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2005; 21(3): 114-20. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
18. Graffeo LC, Silvestri L. Relationship between Locus of Control and Health-Related Variables. Education 2006; 126(3): 593-6. [Google Scholar]
19. Cramer H, Lauche R, Moebus S, et al. Predictors of health behavior change after an integrative medicine inpatient program. Int J Behav Med 2014; 21(5): 775-83. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
20. Cohen M, Azaiza F. Health-promoting behaviors and health locus of control from a multicultural perspective. Ethn Dis 2007; 17(4): 636-42. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
21. Vandervoort DJ, Luis PK, Hamilton SE. Some correlates of health locus of control among multicultural individuals. Current Psychol 1997; 16(2): 167-78. [Google Scholar]
22. Storms PL, Spector PE. Relationships of organizational frustration with reported behavioural reactions: The moderating effect of locus of control. J Occup Psychol 1987; 60(3): 227-34. [Google Scholar]
23. Bavojdan MR, Towhidi A, Rahmati A. The Relationship between Mental Health and General Self-Efficacy Beliefs, Coping Strategies and Locus of Control in Male Drug Abusers. Addict Health 2012; 3(3-4): 111-8. [Google Scholar]
Chenary R, Noroozi A, Tahmasebi R, SaeedFiroozabadi M. Association between Health Locus of Control and Health Promotion Behaviors among Employees’ Bushehr University of Medical Sciences in 2013-14. Iran South Med J. 2016; 19 (5) :877-887 URL: http://ismj.bpums.ac.ir/article-1-835-en.html